Friday, June 23, 2006

I was really bored and thought of writing you this poem about being a jerk.

It's a shame.
I had just gotten better at pretending I dreamt of you
The night before or the day after
I would have to force myself to send for you

Imagine.
I even learnt how to hold your name
on the tip of my twisted tongue,
But only just long enough to convince myself
That it still sounded the same
(Tell me, Was I wrong?)

But now,
I'm a much better liar (and BSer) than you left me
Bold enough to paint this illusion
with invisible brush strokes
a prog-art pantomime called 'The intrusion
Of a stolen, not lost soul!'
For you I subtitled it 'The day you left me'

You left me?
Or was it the other way round?
You could reverse time and freeze frames
But be cautious not to unmute the sound
So we can both pretend the words we mouth
Are not in vain.

Ah!
I impress myself with this self sacrifice
You could call me a jerk (but never a heart-breaker.
Don't compare me to a man on a rampage,
For I have much better aim).
See, I only let you burn the bridges
'cause one of us had to
No understudy could earn such reviews
It may be news to you
But with the years of training I've had
I'm better suited for playing the victim

So.
I hope you find this and file it
Somewhere between akward silences,
The neighbours childrens shoe sizes,
And other peoples favourite songs

The end.
Or in your own words, "It's over"
(And the best part of it for me was writing this poem)
I really am a jerk.
(And I'll feel much better if someone else knew it)
Here's to wishing I'll get a second chance to prove it.

13 comments:

Quest said...

Jerk, that was lovely. Especially this:

"But with the years of training I've had
I'm better suited for playing the victim"

toometoblog said...

Thank you *takes bow* Thank you for acknowledging my inner jerk, all credits go to him not me.

toometoblog said...

It is, actually. the inspiration behind it may (or may not) be the topic of my next blog. (hope this satisfys ur nosiness)

Nigerian Blogger said...

Check out myafricasite.com .
We can create a blogger profile that aggregates your RSS feed of your blog toometoblog on your myafricasite.com profile and the blog posts link back to your blog to drive traffic to your blog.

email us @ admin@myafricasite.com

Thanks and have a great day

chrome said...

dont think kendall read the poem at all. mr self promoter lol.

Too very nice. self-deprecation to really good effect. everchange picked the best lines. dig the 6th verse about filing systems lol.

lucky girl whoever she is. any chance of you audio-casting this?

toometoblog said...

Thanks man. I'm not sure about audio-casting but if it ever gets on a beat i'll definitely upload it.

Quest said...

so when can we expect the next bit?

Nneka's World said...

Too me, abeg update your blog in that funny and tongue in cheek manner oh!
I know you hate it.......

Bella Naija said...

lol... I just started a blog....would luv if u guys would tell me what you think....
http://bellanaija.blogspot.com

Aramide said...

Interesting....okay I await your next post

toometoblog said...

all ur interest scared the post away ppl!

Quest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Quest said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.