Friday, March 17, 2006

R.I.P

Its funny how you could go weeks or even months without thinking of the people who are special to you. Like the woman who baked all your birthday cakes until you got too old or was it too cool for parties. The woman whose home was never a house to you. Always smiling, always thoughtful, she made the world revolve around you. Someone whose image would forever be entangled in all of your childhood memories. A few bad times but it was mostly the good times with her. My mother’s best friend. My almost godmother. I’m not sure what I’m trying to say here but its strange how people need to go before you realize what they really were to you. You?

Death is a strange thing. The moment you hear about someone you care for or maybe just even know pass away there’s this selfish mental rush for memories. And that’s what’s happening to me now. Like “when was the last time I saw her?” “Wow I’m never going to see her again?” “How come no one told me she was sick?” “How come I never asked Ayobami about her?” There are too many I’s here. This isn’t about me. Some phone calls need to be made here.

2 comments:

tori said...

hey, i hope your mom and your [and her] family is [are] okay.

Laila K said...

very nice post. but the thing is, even when we finally realize it, we still do it again and take people for granted.