Saturday, August 05, 2006

I've got a midget in my pocket

Jessica (Rosario alba) dawson hybrid chic: Is that a midget in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

too me to blog: I would be happy to see you if u really did exist and were not just a hypothetical prop set up to breathe life into this uninspiring blog i find myself writing tonight.

Jdhc: What???

tmbt: I didnt expect her to quote Kerouac or anything but a little wit wouldnt hurt

God: This is your creation not mine. Don't turn to me everytime you [Beep] up ur fantasies...

De Other Guy: It isnt his actually hes ripping delots voice convo thingy. Alas, that delot, hes one of mine...

God: I'm talking about her not this...this...

Jdhc: What???

tmtb: its a midget.

[Note to self: Never bring him here again - Ed.]

Now to the blog :
I got my first midget today. While the rest of u would wonder if i have acquired myself a slave (a little person sex slave - knowing how filthy your minds are) or a hard on (thus ending speculation about my involvement in the 2 minute man conspiracy) those of you involved in more journalistic pursuits would know what i'm talking about. A midget is that little tape recorder thingy that journalist shove into peoples faces and women in soap operas usually have lying in their hand bags when lazy screenwriters are in desperate need of a plot twist ("But you said you loved me Antonio...*sob* *sniff*... I've got it all on tape"). Its like the word 'unionized', a chemist (like I am sometimes) would read it as 'un-ionized' while a lay man or woman (like you are because this is my blog) would read 'union-ized'. If you didnt know this, don't be hard on yourself it doesnt mean youre stupid (you have all those pictures of clothes you thought were cool 10 years ago to do that) it just means i'm not.
(Where was I?)
On monday I'll be conducting my first ever interview, taking my first (2nd or 3rd actually) step into the murky waters of music journalism. Here before you sits...types...is...was...whatever the next Nick Hornby (Lester bangs at least) or at least someone who once interviewed a DJ and decided he'd rather do something else with his life next monday. I don't know anything about interviewing folk but i'm guessing the trick is to make the interviewee say interesting stuff... I have the whole of 2mrw/2day to think of how to bait Jimmy Jatt claim he was once a prisoner of war in Vietnam living on a slice of bread and 10 sticks of cigarette for most of the last decade... thats a bit too much... well, i could make him say he writes volumes of 'haiku' in his spare time if he mentions 'fufu'.
(Instead of writing some clever stuff and sticking a link in it i would like to take this timeout to plug the website giving me the opportunity to do this and a lot of other good stuff coming soon. soundsofnigeria.com - thats the future there.)

Back to the midget. I've decided to name it mini-me. if any 'little person' reads this and thinks i'm poking fun at the vertically challenged... I'ld like them to know that a lot of my best friends are midgets. Hit me! (Insert James Brown Hit here!).

In other news:
I was almost a victim of the 'one chance' scam this week. If you don't know what that means... I wish i could trade places with you. I'm mad tired and i need to go crash so i cant tell that story today. but at least u know i'm in one piece as i type this so u can guess how it ended.

In other other news:
The rains been "$%^#@*&$ $%^& - i know i shouldnt speak about mother nature that way.

Stuff I've said into my midget today:
"Cough...Cancer sticks and karma flavoured water..."

"...A bouquet of cigarette butts in a bottle top ashtray... oh! I like that...Is ash-tray one word or two?... cough "

Thats cutting-edge journalism for you there.

jdhc: Whats a midget?

17 comments:

Quest said...

and why would you call a tape recorder a "midget"? I've always wanted one...to capture some of the weird conversations i end up having and no one will believe me afterwards that it actually happened. good luck with the interview. just be a good listener...that always works.

Anonymous said...

you're interviewing jimmy jatt? i'm not exactly a fan but who do u work for and can u hook me up? (p.s. midget sized? u wish... hehe)

c0dec said...

"once chance" almost nab you? lolz. i've already had 3 friends fall for that adventure. the last one had his mac on him.

trae_z said...

hey goodluck man, wonder what we'll get to discover about Jimmy Jatt.

Onada - Fashion and Photography said...

are u seriously interviewing jimmy jatt? pls post the interview transcript!

c0dec said...

i forget who jimmy jat be. i thot i said this earlier but i hope them go pay you.

toometoblog said...

@ everchange- i dont know why they call it a midget, it might just be to tell the diff sizes apart. i took ur advice and i might have done too much listening

@ jaden- Hook you up with jimmy jatt? or the ppl i work for?

@ c0dec- these ones were the scam type. they'll tell u money is in the boot of the car, its in dollars, they need mercury to 'wash' it blah, blah and all the other passengers are in on it. on the pay thing - its more like a labour of love thing now, i'm earning my stripes.

@ traez- well one thing i learnt personally is that job satisfaction is one of the keys to happiness

@ Onada- I'll definitely put some of it up but it seems typing all that is going to be a task

Quest said...

he he. sorry...next time prepare hot questions!

Quest said...

that really was bad advice, come to think of it. i didn't spell it out well enough. by listening well, i meant paying attention for interesting things he says which you can follow up on, to make the interview more engaging for the two of you. the good thing is, this was just your first try, u can learn from your mistakes and do different next time...i hope you'll try again some other time.

usually if i have to interview someone (for a class paper, or a report for work, or networking for a job) it's good to have a general theme to follow in the interview - as in what is the 'purpose' of this interview? to write on the person's life story? a news article on something he is working on? then i find out as much as i can about what he/she is doing (or the particular project he's working on that i'm more interested in). basically, draw up good questions, some on background info, some which should cause the person to "think" b4 answering, etc. and you can draw from your own experience when framing the questions. the actual interview doesn't have to follow the format you've written out, in fact it shouldn't. The questions just serve as a guideline and are esp. helpful if you get stuck. Listening is key, but its also good to look out for interesting tangents you can follow up on. this makes the interviewee comfortable (bcuz you're showing genuine interest in something he just said) and you end up conversing with him instead of just asking-answering predetermined questions.

I guess the most important thing is to actually be interested in the person (or the object about which) you are interviewing. It flatters ppl to know that you are fascinated by something they've said or done. And once the person is comfortable around you, they will give you whatever material you need.

Anonymous said...

the people you work for

chrome said...

feeling mode nine's "elbow room" off the site. that boy is dope. mini-me's are excellent and dangerous (when used for dodgy, non-interview purposes). got dragged to court a few years ago cos of it :) don't ask.

so how did it go? gonna post the transcript?

1

toometoblog said...

@ everchange- Nice i'll definitely use this. I actually came online to read it again cos i've got another interview in about an hour from now.

@ Jaden- Aight. finish ur exams first.

@ Obi- Court??? for real. It was alright. talking about modenine hes the next guy i'm interviewing. I'll probably put some stuff up 2mrw

exschoolnerd said...

i joined blogspot just to be able to comment on ur blog which ive been reading for quite some time but sad that i cudnt leave comments cuz u dont allow anonymous comments..i wonder why...neways how i can...ur blog is one of the things i lways look forward to reading wenever am online...

update more will u!

Anonymous said...

jdhc: so whats your phone number?
tmtb: i dont know, my phones in my pocket but i cant reach cos both my hands are occupied with our drinks
jdhc: oh...let me get it for you...oh dear, a midget.
tmtb: yes, thats my midget, my phones in the other pocket.
jdhc: oh sorry...oh dear, another midget.
tmtb: no worries, but i meant my breast pocket.

toometoblog said...

@ xsn- I just went all mushy inside. I'll definitely be updating more often unless the name is a coincidence it'll be nice for u to know that ure my favourite xanga blogger (that i don't know in person - had to add that to keep my head).

@ Delot- Lmao!!!

Aramide said...

so are u into journalism now?

toometoblog said...

yeah - I think, kinda, sorta - I am.