Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Blog Worthy?

I really don't have anything to blog about. So...
I think reading too many blogs kills your blogging mojo. This used to be a reflex thing. Now? I’m wondering why write this when you can just read some blogs then go and play some more Snes games

Yes my PC crashed again. And this time theres no blue screen theres just a lot of beeping. I plan to sue someone. Now should that be Microsoft or Intel? Someone should have warned me not to unplug the game pad while the PC was on. Considering that my copy of windows XP was bootlegged maybe I should cross Microsoft off my list…

Now I’m back using this public (family) property laptop and for my little sister’s sake I’ll have to push back writing that erotica novella I was working on (we can’t afford another freak in the family). Is it true what they say about laptops and sperm counts? I’m going paranoid here. I swear I can almost hear the wails of my unborn children emanating from my nut-sack (nobody outside academic circles uses the word testicles and balls is so pre-2002, hence nut-sack). Could the heat really do that? Hmmm…

I’ve been trying to get my writing cap (unblog related writing cap) back on. With stuff like:

As dawn broke on Lagos the city rose in a single magnificent sweep brushing off the debris of drunken souls and sleepless dreamers its shoulders had had to bear the night before. The prostitutes crawled back into their stench filled corners sharing the same piece of norcturnal karma as the city cops that mounted all-night checkpoints the night before. Obalende, the city’s unacknowledged heartbeat, nudged itself back to life with sporadic spasms of conductors calling out to the first explorers of this brand new day. The sun slowly rising, pealing away the excesses of the night before, restored the eternal optimism of the average Lagosian, beamed down rays of false hope onto the dew-covered streets. The black-stripped orange buses, blood in the labyrinth-veins of the city, started their endless cycle again. Strangers packed side by side on their way to equally strange destinations. Gospel music blaring out of speakers was their theme song as they moved from the island to the mainland.

The boy named after the city had been a virgin the day before…

Then I read Tori’s excellent (for a first trial) fictional piece on the joy of finding love on the dance floor and suddenly 27 word sentences didn’t seem so cool anymore…

I’m currently rereading this biography of Oscar Wilde (by…I’m too lazy to stretch my hand out to check for the authors name- from here the first letter looks like a P) for the umpteenth time. Why? He is one of the most quotable authors ever

“The world is a stage but the play is badly cast”

“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance”

And my personal favorite

“We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars.”

The thing is his sexuality was rather doubtful and... lets just say whenever they make a movie of his life (I suspect they already have) I won’t be copping it…

I am currently listening to Kanye West’s College Dropout and wishing it was 2004 again. Does this signals the beginning of a quarter-life crisis…

6 comments:

Nkem said...

Oscar Wilde, one of the most quotable men ever to have lived. One of my favourites, "If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you." Check out the film, Wilde (1997), starring Stephen Fry (who's also gay) - good film.

I read a fair bit, but I'd never claim to know anything about writing literature. I like your first paragraph, but it seems a bit verbose, which can get in the way of a good story. Or perhaps it's just my small mind, what the hell do I know, right? Sue Microsoft anyway...

toometoblog said...

Stephen Fry is gay? They do look a lot alike-same funny nose. I think "verbose" is the right word i'm working on cutting down on the words. Do you know any good lawyers?
Stephen Fry is gay?

Quest said...

Yup, there definitely have been OW movies. There was one with Leo DiCaprio and this other dude. I forget the name.

I agree it's a tad bit verbose. Still..quite nice.

c0dec said...

haha! i see you've put up your pic. is the black and white concept a facade. expose your true form, nucca! lolz. i'll be back to blogging (maybe when u retire) - right now the lab is my home.

nice rhymes (or is it poetry? - i'm a noob at these things). reminds me of blackstar's "respiration".

Noella said...

Please dont get too lazy too blog, I like reading your blog

toometoblog said...

@ everyone I'm one step away from tatooing "Verbose" on my ass. Thanks for the critique i'll mos def be posting up more fiction for your opinions

@ everchange- Leo Dicarpio as oscar wilde...I'll have to google that

@ monie- Obalende is the "unacknowledged heartbeat" of this city. true dat

@ Jonah- I'll definitely like to read that pls foward asap to olarinre@gmail.com. How do you let boggers on other systems post on ur blog? i'm not sure its possible but i'll check.

@c0dec- Lmao. facade? dude why act like you're mortal sight hasn't been blessed by my (too fly for colour tv) presence.lol. respiration? what verse kweli or mos?

@Dilichi- I'll try not to. dig ur blog too